Jun 23, 2024  
2020-21 Catalog 
2020-21 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Financial Aid, Veteran & Service Member Education Benefits, and Scholarship Opportunities

Federal and State Student Aid Programs

Veteran and Service Member Education Benefits


We recognize students often need financial assistance to pursue post-secondary education. Various options are available at Lewis and Clark Community College (L&C) for students who need financial assistance while attending classes. The L&C Financial Aid Office is the best place to start to obtain information regarding scholarships and grants, as well as federal, state and institutional financial aid opportunities. The Financial Aid Office staff is available to assist you in completing application forms and in understanding financial aid programs.

Start the application process early to ensure the Financial Aid Office will have time to perform all the financial aid functions required to assist you in paying for your education. Estimated award letters and letters requesting additional documentation or forms will be mailed to students who list Lewis and Clark Community College’s federal school code (010020) on their Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) applications. Students are also instructed on how to accept their financial aid awards and view how their financial aid will be applied to institutional charges.

Students who have questions or need more individualized assistance can contact the Financial Aid Office at 618-468-2223. The Financial Aid Office is located on the Godfrey Campus in Baldwin 2450.

Federal and State Student Aid Programs

Federal student aid includes the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Work-Study (FWS), the Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG), and Federal Direct Student loans. The Illinois Student Assistance Commission’s (ISAC) administers the  State of Illinois Monetary Award Program (MAP) Grant that can be applied towards a student’s tuition and mandatory fees. Please see the college’s website (www.lc.edu) for links to more state aid resources. Each student who reports Illinois as his/her state of legal residence automatically applies for the MAP grant when completing the FAFSA annually. The FAFSA can be completed as early as October 1 prior to the academic year that starts on or after July 1. ISAC will calculate MAP awards only for those Illinois residents who list a MAP eligible school as one of their school choices on the FAFSA. Lewis and Clark students should list the college’s federal school code (010020) on the federal student aid application. For priority consideration for state and some federal aid, students are encouraged to apply for financial aid as soon as possible starting October 1st each year.

Federal Pell Grant - A federal grant program designed to provide financial aid to students with need to attend post-secondary educational institutions. Need is determined by the evaluation of your FAFSA application. Even if you are ineligible to receive a Federal Pell Grant, you may be eligible for other programs such as the ISAC Monetary Award Program (MAP) Grant, Federal Work-Study, or one of the loan programs. Award amounts are determined by evaluating your Expected Family Contribution as determined by the FAFSA, the college’s Cost of Attendance, and your Enrollment Status.

Federal Work Study - An employment program funded by L&C and federal funds. Students who request Federal Work Study and qualify for this program on the basis of financial need may seek employment opportunities by visiting the Financial Aid section of the college’s website to view available job listings and download a work study application. Students are paid minimum wage, and the average work load usually cannot exceed 20 hours per week. Please Note: Additional employment opportunities can be obtained by accessing Career & Employment Services under Community Services at www.lc.edu.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) - A federal grant which provides students with financial need a supplement to attend institutions of post-secondary education. Funds are limited and are awarded to students with the most need as determined by the FAFSA. Priority is given to students receiving the Federal Pell Grant and who apply for financial aid before the Financial Aid Office’s priority deadline of June 30th each year.

Illinois Student Assistance Commission Monetary Award Program (ISAC MAP) Grant - A State of Illinois grant that provides payment of tuition and mandatory fees only. The MAP Grant is based on need. You must meet ISAC’s Illinois residency criteria. ISAC determines annual award amounts based on information reported on the FAFSA.

Federal Direct Loans

Subsidized - A federally subsidized loan based on financial need for which you are not charged interest while you are enrolled in school at least half-time (6 credit hours).

Unsubsidized - A non-need based loan in which the interest begins accruing (accumulating) when the loan is disbursed. The interest will be added to the principle balance of the loan, or students may opt to make monthly interest payments thereby reducing the interest on the loan prior to repayment.

The maximum annual loan amounts are:

First year students: $5,500 Dependent Students
  $9,500 Independent Students
  Only $3,500 can be subsidized if eligible
Second year students: $6,500 Dependent Students
  $10,500 Independent Students
  Only $4,500 can be subsidized if eligible

Federal Direct Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS Loan) - is available to help pay for a Dependent student’s educational expenses. These loans are not based on financial need but cannot exceed the student’s Cost of Attendance minus other awarded aid. Repayment usually begins 60 days after loan funds have been disbursed but can also be deferred. Contact the Financial Aid Office for additional information.

To receive a Direct Student Loan or to benefit from a PLUS Loan, a student must meet the general eligibility criteria for all Federal Student Aid (FSA) programs as stated in this current catalog (referenced from the Code of Federal Regulations regarding Title IV Federal Student Aid Programs, 34 CFR Section 668.32). Students cannot be on financial aid or academic suspension and receive a federal student loan. Students must maintain at least half-time enrollment status for student loan eligibility.

Per federal regulations, student loans will be prorated for those in their last term of study (34 CFR Section 682.204). All student loan borrowers must participate in loan entrance and exit counseling sessions to review loan terms, obligations, and options for student loan repayment.

The Code of Federal Regulations, in reference to the Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL) Program {34 CFR Section 682.602(e) (1)}, provides that a school may refuse to certify a FFEL Stafford or PLUS loan application or may reduce the borrower’s determination of need for the loan if the reason for that action is documented and provided to the student in writing, provided the determination is made on a case-by-case basis.

How to Apply for Financial Aid

To apply for federal and state financial student aid programs, students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the academic school year they plan to attend. To complete and submit your FAFSA, go to https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa. New students are encouraged to apply for a Federal Student Aid ID (FSA ID) to electronically sign your application at https://fsaid.ed.gov before beginning the online process. You must apply for financial aid using the FAFSA each school year. You can apply as early as October 1 for the next full academic school year (which usually begins with the fall semester and ends with the summer term).

What Happens After You Apply

Once you have submitted your FAFSA, the Central Processing System (CPS) for the United States Department of Education will process your FAFSA within two weeks. Lewis and Clark will receive the results of your FAFSA electronically. If there is no additional information required, once processing for the school year begins, the Financial Aid Office will calculate an estimated award package, and you will receive an award notification in the mail. You must accept your awards online through Lewis and Clark’s website. In lieu of an award letter, you may receive a request for more information or documentation. Once the required documentation is received, verified, and your file is complete, the office will calculate an estimated award package for you. The Financial Aid Office will begin processing award packages in the spring of each year for the following school year.

Some students are selected for verification upon CPS processing of their financial aid applications. The Financial Aid Office will request certain financial documents from you if you are selected for verification.

You have the option to accept or reject any student financial assistance offer on your award package. You can also request a lower loan amount depending on your educational needs. Unlike grants and scholarships, student loan funds must be repaid.

How Financial Aid Eligibility is Determined

The Department of Education calculates an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) from the information you reported on the FAFSA using a formula established by law. The EFC is not the amount of money that your family must provide. Rather, you should think of the EFC as an index the college will use to determine how much financial aid (grants, loans or work-study) you could receive. Your EFC is determined from your prior year income (i.e. your income for 2018 is used for the 2020-2021 FAFSA), the number of people in the family, the number of people in college, and your current assets in some cases. You and your family are expected to make a maximum effort to assist with your college expenses. Financial assistance should be viewed as a supplement to you and/or your family’s effort to finance your education.

Within guidelines by the Department of Education, we may be able to adjust the data elements that determine your EFC or to your Cost of Attendance (COA) to better reflect your true need. Additional paperwork, time, and documents are required for these processes.

Your EFC number, which is calculated from the information you report on the FAFSA, is used to determine your eligibility for the Federal Pell Grant, the ISAC MAP Grant, Federal Work Study, and federal student loan programs.

If you indicate on your FAFSA that you wish to be considered for the Federal Work Study Program or L&C determines that you are eligible for an additional federal grant, the Financial Aid Office will indicate these awards on your estimated financial aid award package. Your award package will specify for which programs you are eligible and the estimated award amount(s) you can expect to receive from the program(s). Your financial aid is packaged using the following formula:

  $x,xxx Cost of Attendance Budget (COA)
minus $x,xxx Expected Family Contribution (EFC)
=  $x,xxx Financial Need
minus $x,xxx Federal and State Grants
minus $x,xxx Private Grants and Scholarships
minus $x,xxx Federal College Work-Study
minus $x,xxx Federal Loans
= $x,xxx Unmet Financial Need

In order to be eligible to receive any federal and ISAC state student assistance, you must be enrolled as a regular student. For all federal and ISAC state aid programs, a regular student is one who:

  • Has the ability to benefit from higher education by having a certificate of graduation from a secondary school (High School Diploma), has a General Education Development (GED) certificate, or has completed a home school curriculum and is beyond the age of compulsory school attendance (17 for the state of Illinois).
  • Is enrolled as a degree-seeking student in an eligible program
  • Is enrolled in courses that apply toward his/her program
  • If required, is registered with Selective Service (males between the ages of 18 and 25)
  • Is a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
  • Has not applied for and is not receiving financial aid at two colleges at the same time; unless the course is needed for degree completion and a consortium agreement is approved by both colleges in which one school will award aid. Student must see the Director of Financial Aid for approval information.
  • Has a valid Social Security number
  • Is not debarred or suspended from any federal programs
  • Does not owe a federal student aid refund
  • Is not in default of a federal student loan

Any student receiving federal or ISAC state financial aid is also responsible for knowing, understanding, and complying with the preceding and following information. All information is subject to change and all changes will be publicized by L&C. This information is correct at the time of this printing and complies with all applicable consumer information reporting requirements.

How Your Cost of Attendance is Determined

All students incur comparable direct educational expenses based on enrollment hours. Your indirect expenses are based on your own circumstances, and can vary from student to student. Budget figures are allowances derived from average and expected costs. Your costs may be higher or lower. In some circumstances, the Financial Aid Office may be able to make adjustments to your budget. Budgets are based on an average full-time attendance of 14 semester hours in the fall and spring semesters.

Direct Educational Expenses  
Tuition & Fees $4,144
Books & Supplies $1,008
Indirect Education Expenses for Independent Students
Room, Board, and Personal Expense Allowance $7,002
Transportation Allowance $2,700
Total Allowance for Financial Aid  $14,854
Indirect Educational Expenses for Dependent Students
Room, Board, and Personal Expense Allowance $5,598
Transportation Allowance $2,700
Total Allowance for Financial Aid $13,420

Budgets will be prorated for students enrolled less than full-time and for summer terms. Budgets can be adjusted if a student is attending the fall, spring, and summer semesters during the academic year.

What is Required After Accepting Your Financial Aid

Once you have accepted your aid, you are expected to maintain satisfactory academic progress standards. If you do not maintain satisfactory academic progress standards, you may be denied financial aid in the future. You are expected to attend class regularly. If you have registered and later decide not to attend classes in a particular semester, you must officially withdraw from those classes. For more information, please see the sections on the college’s withdrawal and tuition refund policies in this catalog.

If you are receiving aid from the following federal and state programs, you must meet satisfactory academic progress standards to remain in good standing for the:

  • Federal Pell Grant
  • Federal Work-Study (FWS)
  • Federal Direct Loans (Subsidized and Unsubsidized)
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
  • Federal Direct Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students 
  • Illinois Student Assistance Commission Monetary Award Program (ISAC MAP) Grant

In accordance with United States Department of Education regulations (as dictated by Public Law 94-482 as amended) and Illinois Student Assistance Commission regulations, a student receiving federal or state funded financial assistance must be “making measurable progress toward the completion of his/her course of study” in order to continue receiving financial assistance. The requirement that a financial aid recipient must maintain satisfactory progress should not be confused with the academic requirements as described in the College’s Academic Standards Policy. A conceptual difference exists between the two. Good standing or academic probation (warning) means you are allowed by the institution to continue in enrollment according to the academic standards as described in the most recent catalog. Financial aid satisfactory academic progress must be maintained to continue receiving federal and most state financial student assistance.

Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards for Financial Aid

The financial aid satisfactory academic progress (SAP) standards for federal student aid and state grant recipients conform to federal and state regulations. The standards complement the academic standards for all L&C students, encourage the timely completion of academic programs, and promote academic achievement. The standards will look at a student’s cumulative progress; in addition to how the student performed in the term for which financial aid is received.

Lewis & Clark Community College has established qualitative and quantitative measures for evaluating the efforts of financial aid recipients pursuing an educational degree or certificate.   An assessment of these efforts will occur after each fall, spring, and summer term.  Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards are consistently applied to all students who are enrolled in an undergraduate program at all enrollment levels (i.e. Full-time -12 or more credit hours, Three-quarter-time - 9 to 11.5 credit hours, Half-time - 6 to 8.5 credit hours, and Less than half-time - 5.5 or less credit hours) and include the evaluation of successfully completed courses of grades A, B, C, D, and S as well as Remedial courses, Repeats, Withdrawals, Incompletes, Failures (PR, W, I, X, F) and Transfer hours even if federal student aid was never received.

Financial Aid Good Standing:  In order to remain in financial aid good standing, a student must maintain a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 or higher, a pace of progression of 67 percent or higher, AND must not exceed the maximum timeframe of his/her program of study at Lewis and Clark. The financial aid pace of progression is not the same as comparing academic hours attempted or earned as indicated on your L&C transcript and should not be confused as such. The pace of progression is calculated by dividing the total credit hours earned by the total credit hours attempted.

Grades A, B, C, D, and S are passing grades and are considered course completions. Grades X, I, PR, W, F and repeats are not passing grades and are treated as non-completions when calculating SAP and are considered attempted hours. Blank grades (due to late grade reports) are also calculated as non-completions. When a blank grade or an incomplete is reported, students need to notify the Financial Aid Office when the actual grades are entered on their records. If warranted, the student’s status can be upgraded.  Remedial, prerequisite courses, and transfer hours are included in SAP and are considered attempted hours.

Financial Aid Warning: A student who is receiving financial aid and who fails to maintain a cumulative 2.00 or higher GPA and/or a pace of progression that will ensure graduation within the maximum timeframe of the student’s program by earning at least 67 percent of all credit hours attempted through each semester or summer term, will be placed on financial aid Warning. This status is a warning to students who need to improve academic performance in order to graduate in the required timeframe with the required GPA. While on financial aid Warning, a student may continue to receive financial aid.

To End a Warning Status: If a student brings his/her cumulative GPA to 2.00 or higher and pace of progression to 67 percent or higher while on Warning, he/she will be placed back in Financial Aid Good Standing.

Financial Aid Suspension: A student will continue to receive financial aid during his/her first semester on financial aid Warning. At the end of that semester, the cumulative GPA must be 2.0 or higher and the cumulative pace of progression must be 67 percent or higher in order to avoid financial aid suspension.

Financial Aid Suspension and the Maximum Timeframe: Per federal and state financial aid regulation, a student must be able to complete an eligible program within a maximum timeframe. The maximum timeframe consists of 150 percent of the total number of credit hours needed for completion of a program. This regulation includes all federal aid programs and ISAC MAP. All credit hours attempted are considered when calculating this Financial Aid Suspension status: hours attempted at Lewis and Clark, hours transferred from other colleges, hours withdrawn, and hours repeated. A student’s suspension status applies whether or not financial aid was received for any of the attempted credit hours. Credits granted for GED courses and continuing education courses are not counted toward the maximum timeframe.

While on Suspension, a student cannot receive any type of federal or state financial aid. If a student has been suspended from financial aid and wishes to have his/her financial aid reinstated, he/she can seek the following options:

  1. Bring the cumulative GPA to 2.0 or higher and the cumulative pace of progression to 67 percent or higher without the use of financial aid.
  2. Appeal to the Financial Aid Committee explaining the mitigating circumstances which interfered with successful completion of his/her studies and what has changed.

If a student appeals his/her financial aid suspension status to the Financial Aid Committee and the appeal is approved, the student will be reinstated for financial aid and placed on Financial Aid Probation for one semester or must follow an academic plan that ensures the student will meet SAP by a specific point in time. Many students will be restricted by the number of credit hours and the types of courses that can be taken in a semester. The student must adhere to this educational plan to receive aid. In some cases, the Financial Aid Committee may consult with Academic Advising concerning educational plans for student success. Once a student has been reinstated for financial aid through the appeal process, if the student successfully maintains a 100 percent semester pace of progression AND at least a 2.0 semester GPA, while on the academic plan, the student will remain on Financial Aid Probation, though the cumulative GPA may still be below 2.0 and/or the cumulative pace of progression may still be below 67 percent. If a student does not continue to make progress by successfully maintaining a 100 percent semester pace of progression AND at least a 2.0 semester GPA after his/her appeal has been approved, the student will again be placed on Financial Aid Suspension.

Financial Aid Appeals

Students have a right to appeal their financial aid suspension status to the Financial Aid Committee:

Appeal to the Financial Aid Committee with documented, mitigating circumstances or family hardships, explaining why you are not meeting the standards. Explain your circumstances in a letter addressed to the Financial Aid Committee in care of the Financial Aid Office. Your letter can be typed or handwritten and should be no longer than one page. The Financial Aid Committee will assess your appeal based on the documentation you provide. You will be notified in writing of the Committee’s decision.

A student may still be eligible for other forms of assistance such as private scholarships or grants, the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA), and the Department of Human Services Division of Rehabilitation Services (DHS DRS) and some Veterans Educational Benefits.

Repeat Courses and Financial Aid:

  • Failed and withdrawn courses can be repeated with financial aid coverage. However, multiple unsuccessful attempts will negatively affect financial aid satisfactory academic progress and could result in increased course costs on the 4th attempt.

  • Courses in which a passing grade was received may be retaken only one additional time and be covered by financial aid. Any additional repeats will not count toward enrollment status and will be ineligible for financial aid. (i.e. If a student receives a D in a class and then retakes the class for a better grade, but the retake results in a F or a W, the student cannot receive aid for any further repeats of the course.)

  • In addition, if a student successfully passes a course and wants to repeat the course within 4 years of the successful completion, the charges for the course will be the equivalent of the out-of-district tuition rate.

Return of Federal Funds

The law specifies how Lewis and Clark Community College (L&C) must determine the amount of Federal Student Aid (FSA) assistance that you earn if you withdraw from school. The FSA programs administered by L&C that are covered by this law are: Federal Pell Grants, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOGs), Federal Direct Student Loans, and Parent PLUS Loans.

When a student withdraws during a payment period, the amount of FSA program assistance that he/she has earned up to that point is determined by a specific formula. If you received (or L&C or your parent received on your behalf) less assistance than the amount that you earned, you may be able to receive those additional funds. If you received more assistance than you earned, the excess funds must be returned to the federal government by L&C and/or you.

The amount of assistance that a student has earned is determined on a pro rata basis. For example, if you completed 30 percent of your payment period or period of enrollment, you earn 30 percent of the assistance you were originally scheduled to receive. Once you have completed more than 60 percent of the payment period or period of enrollment, you are considered to have earned all the assistance that you were scheduled to receive for that period.

If you did not receive all of the funds that you earned, you may be due a post-withdrawal disbursement. Lewis and Clark may automatically use all or a portion of your post-withdrawal disbursement for tuition and fees. If any part of the disbursement consists of loan funds, we will request your permission to use that part of the funds to pay tuition and fees or other institutional charges.

If a student receives (or L&C or your parent receives on your behalf) excess FSA program funds that must be returned, L&C must return a portion of the excess. If L&C is not required to return all of the excess funds, you must return the remaining amount. Any loan funds that you must return, you (or your parent for a PLUS Loan) repay in accordance with the terms of the promissory note. That is, you make scheduled payments to the servicer of the loan over a period of time.

Any amount of unearned grant funds that you must return is called an overpayment. You can make arrangements with L&C or the Department of Education to return the unearned grant funds.

The requirements for FSA program funds when you withdraw are not to be confused with the college’s Refund Policy. Therefore, you may still owe funds to L&C to cover unpaid institutional charges. L&C will hold you accountable for any FSA program funds that the school was required to return.

If you have questions about your FSA program funds, you can call Lewis and Clark Community College’s Financial Aid Office at 618-468-2223 or the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4- FED-AID (1-800-433-3243). TTY users may call 1-800-730-8913. Information is also available on Student Aid on the Web at www.studentaid.ed.gov.

All financial aid recipients are required to view Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards and Return of Federal Funds policies through the Self Service Financial Aid link in Blackboard.

Student Loan Defaults

If you are currently in default of a federal student loan, you are not eligible for federal or certain state student financial aid. However, you may be eligible for assistance from other agencies. If you have defaulted on a student loan you can rehabilitate your loan and regain Title IV (federal) and state student aid eligibility by establishing satisfactory repayment. Please contact the Financial Aid Office for defaulted federal student loan repayment options. To regain financial aid eligibility, you must submit documentation from the loan servicer, guarantee agency, or Department of Education to the Financial Aid Office once satisfactory repayment has been established. You must continue your payment agreement in order to retain eligibility for student aid.

Disbursement of Federal/State Funds

Financial Aid credit balances will be disbursed for students who have complete financial aid files, no later than the sixth week of a semester. All tuition and fees must be paid before any remaining financial aid is disbursed to the student. Student aid awards based on late starting classes will not be disbursed until those class refund periods have ended. A credit balance may be comprised of the Federal Pell Grant, the Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, Federal Direct Loans, and/or scholarships. Students may charge books and supplies to their student accounts if they have available funds.

What To Do With Your Financial Aid Refund

By signing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), you have certified that you will use federal and/or state student financial aid only to pay the cost of attending an institution of higher education. You are expected to use the financial aid funds you receive for the costs of attending L&C as listed in the “Cost of Attendance” budget.

Student Rights

You have the right to know and should understand the following:

Available financial programs - This information is found in the L&C Catalog, on the Federal Student Aid website (www.StudentAid.gov), and in Illinois Student Assistance Commission publications and on their website (www.isac.org). Current publications are available in the Financial Aid Office.  See the Financial Aid section of the college’s website (www.lc.edu) for more information.

Cost of Attendance - Cost of Attendance (COA) budgets are found in the current L&C Catalog. Certain academic programs require additional tools and/or supplies that are not purchased through L&C or the college bookstore. Contact the appropriate program coordinator for a program syllabus that will list required tools and/or supplies, estimated costs, and possible sources of procurement. If you are in an academic program that requires additional tools and/or supplies, your COA budget may be adjusted to reflect these costs.

Determination of satisfactory academic progress - Policy about how L&C determines if you are making satisfactory academic progress and what happens if you are not is printed in the current L&C Catalog, available on the college website, and accessible through the Self Service Financial Aid link in Blackboard. Satisfactory progress is monitored every semester.

Explanation of programs in the student aid package - Information about all financial aid programs can be found in the current L&C Catalog, on the Federal Student Aid website (www.StudentAid.gov), in ISAC brochures, and on ISAC’s website (www.isac.org).

Financial Aid Deadlines - Can be found on application forms, the current L&C Catalog, and in the Financial Aid Office. A student who fails to complete the verification process and/or submit all required paperwork and/or documents by the end of a term for which aid is sought cannot receive that aid, unless the student is continuing into another term within the same academic year.

Financial aid distribution process - Information about how financial aid is distributed, how decisions regarding financial aid are made, and the basis for those decisions is available in the current L&C Catalog, the Financial Aid Office, the U.S. Department of Education, and the Illinois Student Assistance Commission.

Financial aid student loan repayment - You must be aware of what portion of student aid received must be repaid, what portion is grant aid, and what portion must be earned (work-study). If the aid is a  federal student loan, you should know the rate of interest and total amount borrowed. For repayment procedures, deferment criteria, the length of time for repayment, and when repayment is to begin, please contact your loan servicer through https://nslds.ed.gov. Further information is available in the financial aid section of L&C’s website, the U.S. Department of Education (https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans), or the Illinois Student Assistance Commission.

Financial need determination process - Information about how financial aid is determined including costs for tuition and fees, room and board, travel, books and supplies, personal and miscellaneous expenses, etc., is found in the current L&C Catalog, is available in the Financial Aid Office, can be found in federal and state publications, and is available on the Web.

Job Placement Rates - Prospective, new, and continuing students have the right to review the data used to calculate job placement rates, if they are advertised by L&C, and to be informed of state licensing requirements for those jobs. The college also provides data to the Illinois Community College Board’s yearly Occupational Follow-up Study. Data is available for review upon request.

L&C’s accrediting and licensing organizations - This information is printed in the current L&C Catalog, available on the college’s website, and materials are available for inspection. Contact the College Administration if you wish to review these documents.

L&C’s faculty, services, and facilities - Information about L&C’s instructional, laboratory, and other physical facilities, faculty, special facilities and services for individuals with disabilities, and the drug abuse referral program can be found in the current L&C Catalog or obtained through the appropriate offices on campus.

L&C graduation rates and licensure rates for all students and athletes, athletic program revenue and costs, on campus crime rates, and drug and alcohol abuse consequences and prevention programs.

Refer to the L&C Student Handbook and Emergency Guide distributed to all students each year, the current L&C Catalog, the college’s website, and other L&C literature and brochures on these topics.

L&C’s refund policy - The general L&C refund policy is printed in the current L&C Catalog. The refund policy that affects all Title IV (federal) student aid recipients is also printed in this catalog and available on the college’s website. A “Return of Title IV Funds” calculation must be performed for all Title IV recipients who totally withdraw before completing 60 percent of the semester of enrollment for which he/she was awarded. Refunds are made to the federal aid program(s) and only apply when a student withdraws from all of his/her classes.

Other program rights and responsibilities, especially the loan programs - This information is printed in aforementioned sources as well as in and with any additional paperwork or requirements that must be read or completed by the aid recipient.

Portion of financial need met - Information about how much of your financial need is met as determined by L&C is included in the Financial Aid Award Package. Please be aware that need is based on Cost of Attendance (COA) budgets that use allowances and averages; your true need may not be reflected on your Package. Adjustments to Expected Family Contributions (EFC) and COA budgets may be possible; see the Financial Aid Office if you have unusual circumstances. Financial Aid award packages may not meet 100% of financial need.

Resources considered in the calculation of need - Information about what resources are considered in the calculation of financial aid need such as assets, parental contributions, other financial aid, etc., can be found on the Federal Student Aid website (https://studentaid.ed.gov). Calculation worksheets that show in detail how aid is determined are also available from the Department of Education, the Financial Aid Office, or the Web.

Student confidentiality - Student information is protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) as amended and will not be released without written consent of the student unless it is needed by another school or agency to determine aid eligibility. Please see this catalog for more information.

Student Responsibilities

You are responsible for knowing and understanding the following:

Awareness of the college’s refund policies. This information is found in the current L&C Catalog and is available from the Financial Aid Office.

Communicating changes in enrollment status, name or address. You are to inform the Financial Aid Office and the Admissions and Records Office of changes in enrollment status, name, or address.

Completing applications. You must complete all application forms accurately and submit them on time to the proper agency or office.

Maintaining satisfactory progress. You must maintain financial aid satisfactory academic progress in order to receive financial aid.

Meeting application deadlines. You must be aware of and comply with the deadlines for application and reapplication for aid. You must reapply for aid every academic school year.

Performing assigned work. You must perform the work that is agreed upon when accepting a Federal Work-Study job.

Providing correct information. Incorrect reporting of information on financial aid application forms is a violation of law and may be considered a criminal offense that could result in indictment under the U. S. Criminal Code, state prosecution, and L&C disciplinary action. Read the application directions carefully and ask questions if you do not understand what you have read.

Reading and understanding all signed agreements, documents, and forms. You are responsible for reading and understanding all forms you sign, for keeping copies of each, and for fulfilling the obligations of each.

Repaying all student loans. Federal Student Loan Entrance and Exit Counseling is required for each student borrowing a federally guaranteed student loan. You must repay your loan even if you do not graduate or do not get a job in the field for which you studied.

Returning all required documentation. You must return or provide all documentation, verification, corrections, and/or new information requested by either the Financial Aid Office or the agency to which application was made if you wish to receive student financial aid.

Note: Additional information about the topics addressed above appears elsewhere in the current L&C Catalog, is available in L&C Financial Aid Office or in official government publications. Be advised that the information in this section is subject to change. This information is provided for your benefit and does not constitute any type of contract with you or obligation to you by Lewis and Clark Community College, the federal government, the state government, private donors, or other agencies. As law and regulations change, L&C will inform students and the public through various media on what those changes are and how they will be implemented at L&C. Law and regulation changes tend to nullify previous policies and procedures; therefore, student use of previously published guidelines, such as found in the catalog under which a student matriculates and uses for academic program completion, cannot be used as a defense for not meeting current financial aid standards, deadlines, and procedures if those guidelines have been superseded.

If You Need Further Information

You can contact the Financial Aid Office for more information concerning your eligibility and how to apply for aid at 618-468-2223, or finaid@lc.edu.  You may also contact:

U.S. Department of Education:  800-433-3243 (www.ed.gov) TDD number is 800 -730-8913

  • Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
  • Federal Student Aid Programs (Pell Grant, Federal Work Study, Federal Direct Student Loans)

Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC):  800-899-4722 (www.isac.org)

  • Monetary Award Program (MAP)
  • Illinois Veterans Grant (IVG)
  • Illinois National Guard Grant (ING)
  • Other ISAC administered programs

Veteran and Service Member Education Benefits

L&C is approved by the Department of Defense and the Illinois Department of Veterans Affairs’ State Approving Agency (SAA) to process veteran and service member education benefits and, in that capacity, certifies veteran and service member students to receive education benefits for associate degree programs and some non-degree programs. Contact a L&C VA Certifying Official in Financial Aid, Baldwin Hall, Room 2450, 618-468-2223 for further information. All veteran and service member education benefit recipients must:

  • Submit a completed application for admission to L&C to the Enrollment Center, Baldwin Hall, Room 1450, Lewis and Clark Community College, Godfrey, IL 62035-2466, or on-line at www.lc.edu.
  • Submit official academic transcripts of any previous college work or schooling including college courses taken while in the military and any military training for which you would like to receive college credit. Official transcripts must be sent directly to the Enrollment Center from the school you attended. Military training transcripts must be requested through Joint Services Transcript (https://jst.doded.mil) and https://www.airuniversity.af.edu/Barnes/CCAF (Air Force only).
  • Complete the appropriate application(s) for state and/or federal veteran and service member education benefits. Service members who plan to utilize Tuition Assistance should contact the Educational Services Officer in their particular branch of service prior to enrolling. Contact a L&C VA Certifying Official in Financial Aid for assistance. Veterans and service members may also be eligible for financial aid in addition to state and/or federal education benefits for which they are entitled.

Veteran and Service Member Education Programs

The following are summaries of several state and federal education programs offered at L&C. Since these programs are always subject to change, for the most current information go to: www.illinois.gov/veterans/benefits/Pages/education or www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.

Chapter 30 - The Montgomery GI Bill® provides up to 36 months of education benefits to eligible veterans who entered active duty for the first time after June 30, 1985; received a high school diploma or equivalent (or, in some cases, 12 hours of college credit) before the end of their first obligated period of service; received an honorable discharge; continuously served for 3 years, OR 2 years if that is what you first enlisted for, OR 2 years if you have an obligation to serve four years in the Selected Reserve AND entered Selected Reserve within a year of leaving active duty.

Chapter 31 - The Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment Vet Success Program (Voc Rehab) is for those veterans with a service-connected disability that creates an obstacle to employment. The purpose of Voc Rehab is simple: Assist service-disabled veterans to train for, find and hold down a suitable job, or achieve independence in daily living. Chapter 31 recipients need approval from their assigned VA counselor each semester in order to receive benefits. 

Chapter 33 - The Post 9/11 GI Bill® provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. Veterans must have received an Honorable Discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill®. You may be able to transfer benefits to your spouse or dependent children.

Chapter 35 - This program is for survivors and dependents of veterans, who died on active duty, died of a service-connected disability, are missing in action or were captured in the line of duty by a hostile force, or are totally and permanently disabled. 

Chapter 1606 - The Montgomery GI Bill® - Selected Reserve is an education program that provides up to 36 months of education benefits to members of the Selected Reserve. This includes the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard Reserves, as well as the Army National Guard.

Chapter 1607 -   The Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP) is an education program that provides up to 36 months of education benefits to members of the Selected Reserves, Individual Ready Reserve (IRR) and National Guard, who are called or ordered to active service in response to a war or national emergency, as declared by the President or Congress.

Illinois Veterans Grant (IVG) - For details about this program, see the Financial Aid section of this catalog on Other Grants and Scholarships or go to www.illinois.gov/veterans/benefits/Pages/education.  Grant recipients may also be eligible for other forms of financial aid and are encouraged to apply for those at L&C Financial Aid.

Illinois National Guard (ING) Grant - For details about this program, see the Financial Aid section of this catalog on Grants and Scholarships or go to: www.illinois.gov/veterans/benefits/Pages/education. Grant recipients may also be eligible for other forms of financial aid and are encouraged to apply for those at L&C Financial Aid.

Illinois MIA-POW Scholarship - For details about this program, see the Financial Aid section of this catalog on Grants and Scholarships or go to www.illinois.gov/veterans/benefits/Pages/education.  Scholarship recipients may also be eligible for other forms of financial aid and are encouraged to apply for those at L&C Financial Aid.

Tutorial Assistance - For information on VA tutorial assistance, contact the L&C VA Certifying Official in Financial Aid or the L&C Veterans Services Office. Additionally, L&C offers free tutoring in many academic fields through the Student Success Center. Contact them at 618-468-4772 or www.lc.edu/ssc.

Veterans Administration Work-Study Program - VA Work-Study jobs are available both on- and off-campus for veterans receiving education benefits and who are enrolled at least three-quarter time (9 or more credit hours). Contact a VA Certifying Official in Financial Aid or L&C Veterans Services for additional information.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.

Veteran and Service Member Rate of Attendance

Once a veteran or service member has set his/her education goal, satisfactory progress is expected toward that goal. L&C is required by law to report all changes in status, whether that change is withdrawing from a class, adding a class, unsatisfactory academic progress, academic suspension, or withdrawal from all classes. Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress standards for good standing, warning, and suspension are also applicable to all veteran and service member students receiving education benefits. (See the Financial Aid section of this catalog on Satisfactory Academic Progress for details.)

General studies and community education courses that are not required for a degree are not eligible for VA federal education benefits, nor will courses taken outside your major be used to determine enrollment status for federal education benefits. You should always consult an Academic Advisor prior to registering each semester to make sure the courses you are taking apply to your approved program of study.

All veterans and service members must notify the L&C VA Certifying Official in Financial Aid before withdrawing from classes or adding classes in order to learn how the change may affect benefits. Changes in enrollment status may change monthly benefit amounts. Depending on the circumstances involved, benefits may be reduced effective with the change or they may be reduced retroactively, resulting in money owed back to the VA or the state.

Each semester, all veterans and service members attending L&C and receiving education benefits from the VA or the State of IL must complete a “Certification Request” form and submit it to L&C Financial Aid. In addition, each semester you must submit a copy of your class schedule to L&C Financial Aid. These two documents initiate your L&C certification to the VA/State of IL for education benefits for the upcoming semester. If you do not submit the documents to L&C Financial Aid, you will not be certified as a student and your benefits will not flow. If you have questions, please contact a L&C VA Certifying Official in Financial Aid or the Veterans Services office.

Veteran and Service Member Terms and Concepts

Please review the following terms and concepts to help you secure and maintain your eligibility for education benefits:

Advance Pay - You can apply for advance pay 30-60 days before a semester begins so money may be available to help pay for books, but tuition should be paid first. You cannot apply for advance pay if you are a continuing student.

Break Pay/Interval Pay - If you are a continuing veteran student, according to current law, you will not be paid for the break periods between any terms. 

Change of Program - If you change your major, it must be reported to the VARO by the L&C VA Certifying Official in Financial Aid. However, if you change to a similar major and there is no substantial loss of credit, the VA will not consider this a program change. The VA allows one program change. Second and subsequent program changes must have VA counselor documentation in order to obtain VA approval. It is your responsibility to inform L&C Financial Aid of any change of program you make even if you already discussed the change with an L&C Academic Advisor or your Program Coordinator. 

Enrollment Status - During fall and spring semesters, 6-8 credit hours are considered half time, 9-11 credit hours are considered three-quarter time, and 12 or more credit hours are considered full time. For eight-week courses and Summer semesters, enrollment status is based on the number of 50-minute class sessions per week and follows the above criteria for credit hours. You should always be certain of the number of credit hours you are receiving for the courses and the length of the courses. For example, if an eight-week course ends and you don’t have another course scheduled to begin, you could drop below one of the enrollment thresholds and therefore your benefits would be reduced for the remainder of the semester. Utilizing the services of a L&C Academic Advisor each semester will help ensure you do not encounter credit hour issues.

Financial Aid for Veterans and Service Members - It is possible to receive either veteran or service member education benefits and federal or state financial aid. All veterans and service members are encouraged to apply for financial aid online using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) application (www.fafsa.ed.gov). If you have recently been discharged, be sure to inquire about an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) adjustment to determine eligibility. Contact L&C Financial Aid with any FAFSA questions.

VA Monthly Benefits - The monthly payment amounts vary by program and enrollment status. The most current payment information can be found online at www.gibill.va.gov.

Previous College Credit - College credit received from previous educational institutions attended must be evaluated for your L&C program. It is best to have previous coursework evaluated upon initial submission of paperwork to the VA, though a one-semester grace period is allowed. Students must register early and see a L&C Academic Advisor to have this evaluation done in a timely fashion.

Military Training/Experience - College credit for military training and/or experience may be granted to students once they have completed at least one semester hour of L&C credit. L&C will award, upon request, three semester credit hours in Health and two semester credit hours in Physical Education (free of charge) to veterans who served at least one year on active duty and received an Honorable or General Discharge. To receive credit for other military training and/or experience, students need to supply L&C’s Enrollment Center with appropriate documentation, such as DD-214s, official military transcripts, training certificates with course description, etc. After L&C receives all necessary documentation, an evaluation is made by L&C using the American Council on Education (ACE) guidelines. The student may also be interviewed as part of the evaluation process. Credit cannot be granted for military training and/or experience that does not equate to L&C courses. Because this evaluation process can be complicated and time consuming, please start it early. Veteran and service member students should be aware that receiving credit for military training/experience may have an impact on financial aid awards and/or VA education benefits. You are encouraged to contact the L&C VA Certifying Official in Financial Aid to discuss any potential unintended consequences.

Remedial Courses - Generally, most veteran and service member students can receive benefits for remedial courses if they are required before enrolling in college level courses; however, these courses cannot be taken online. Contact the L&C VA Certifying Official in Financial Aid for additional information.

Repeat Courses - Repeat courses may or may not be approved for benefits depending on the previous grade obtained and program requirements. Contact the L&C VA Certifying Official in Financial Aid for additional information.

Additional Veteran and Service Member Contact Information

If you have questions about your eligibility for federal or state education benefits based on military service, contact the L&C VA Certifying Official in Financial Aid, L&C Veterans Services, or one of the following offices:

U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs IL Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA)
P.O. Box 66830 833 South Spring Street
St. Louis, MO 63166-6830 Springfield, IL 62794-9432
(888 GI BILL1) or 314-442-4551 217-782-6641
www.gibill.va.gov www2.illinois.gov/veterans
IL DVA Service Office VA Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment
231 East Edwardsville Road 521 West Main Street, Suite 15
Wood River, IL 62095 Belleville, IL 62220
618-259-9790 618-239-0087

 For more useful links and phone numbers, go to www.lc.edu/veterans

Veterans Services Department

L&C continues to be recognized as a Military Friendly School by G.I. Jobs magazine. We are proud of that accomplishment and we will continue to support veterans and service members as they pursue their education goals at L&C.

We established a Veterans Resource Center (VRC) on the Godfrey Campus in Caldwell Hall 4335. The center has computers, a printer/scanner/copier, phone, TV, a couch and chairs, lots of brochures and pamphlets, and free bottled water. There is also a VRC on the Nelson Campus in N4, Room 213.

In addition to designating a Financial Aid Advisor to focus on assisting veterans and service members, we have established our Veterans Services Department in Baldwin Hall 2418.

This office is managed by a veteran who himself used state and federal education assistance to obtain a college degree. His job is to assist you during your time at L&C. He will supplement the work of the Enrollment, Advising, and Financial Aid departments in meeting your needs. He will serve as a liaison and advocate for you with other L&C departments, faculty and staff. He is available to confidentially discuss personal issues that are affecting your ability to carry out your education mission and will make referrals as needed to campus and/or community assistance.

Please make contact at some point during the semester. You can just stop by to say hello and be assured you have an advocate on campus. You will also find a variety of information on the tables outside the office and at www.lc.edu/veterans. Terry Lane is the Director of Career and Veterans Services and may be contacted at 618-468-5500 or tdlane@lc.edu.


Lewis and Clark Community College and the Lewis and Clark Community College Foundation together award more than 150 scholarships each academic year valued around $422,000. Nearly half are for full tuition and fees, approximately a $4,500 value for a full-time student. The scholarships administered by the college are guided by the philosophy that scholarships will be distributed to qualified students as widely as possible. All students are encouraged to apply for a scholarship.  Scholarships established by private donors and L&C Trustees exist for students of all ages, abilities, levels of academic standing and full or part- time enrollment status. The online application is available at www.lc.edu/scholarships. Students complete one online form. The online application automatically matches scholarships to qualifying applicants. The application process begins each November, with the application deadline in March. Students are notified in May of their awards for the upcoming academic year. To apply or learn more, visit www.lc.edu/scholarships, or contact the Financial Aid office at 618-468-2223, or the Foundation office at 618-468-2011.

  • 1st MidAmerica Credit Union Scholarship - $2,250
  • Academic Excellence Scholarship - $500
  • Albert Stevens Scholarship for Mass Communications - $250
  • Alton Godfrey Rotary Club - William E. Moyer Vocational Arts & Science Scholarship (2) - $1,500
  • Bold Enterprises, Inc. Scholarship - $2,000
  • Brad, Kyra, Kris, and Karey Lakin Scholarship for students at Roxana and East Alton/Wood River High Schools (2) - $1,000
  • Busey Bank Scholarship - $2,000
  • Carol A. Kempske Scholarship - $5,000
  • Charles & Carmen Puckett Memorial Scholarship - $300
  • Child Development Program Scholarship - $1,000
  • Chris Sutcliffe Memorial Education Career Scholarship - $1,000
  • Dogs of Society Scholarship - varies
  • Dylan M. Kiehna Automotive Technology Scholarship - $750
  • Edna Sawyer Memorial Scholarship - $3,500
  • Eric W. Woods Memorial Scholarship - $1,000
  • Godfrey Women’s Club Scholarship - $3,500
  • Hough Family Scholarship - varies
  • HSHS St. Francis Hospital Scholarship - $5,000
  • Illinois Health Improvement Association Scholarship (2) - $800
  • James Price Memorial Scholarship - $1,000
  • Jane K. Bruker Scholarship for Nursing Students - $1,000
  • John F. Schmidt, Jr. Memorial Scholarship - $4,000
  • John L. and Betty L. McDaniels Scholarship - varies
  • Joy L. Eisenreich Dental Assisting Scholarship - $500
  • Judge Phillip J. Kardis Scholarship - $600
  • L&C Alumni Association Scholarship (2) - $700
  • L&C Board of Trustees Career Scholarship - Accounting - Tuition & Fees
  • L&C Board of Trustees Career Scholarship - Architectural Technology - Tuition & Fees
  • L&C Board of Trustees Career Scholarship - Automotive Technology - Tuition & Fees
  • L&C Board of Trustees Career Scholarship - Business Technology - Tuition & Fees
  • L&C Board of Trustees Career Scholarship - Child Development - Tuition & Fees
  • L&C Board of Trustees Career Scholarship - Dental Assisting - Tuition & Fees
  • L&C Board of Trustees Career Scholarship - Dental Hygiene - Tuition & Fees
  • L&C Board of Trustees Career Scholarship - Drafting and Design - Tuition & Fees
  • L&C Board of Trustees Career Scholarship - Engineering Science - Tuition & Fees
  • L&C Board of Trustees Career Scholarship - Environmental Science - Tuition & Fees
  • L&C Board of Trustees Career Scholarship - Exercise Science - Tuition & Fees
  • L&C Board of Trustees Career Scholarship - Fire Science - Tuition & Fees
  • L&C Board of Trustees Career Scholarship - Graphic Design - Tuition & Fees
  • L&C Board of Trustees Career Scholarship - Health Information & Medical Coding - Tuition & Fees
  • L&C Board of Trustees Career Scholarship - Information Technology - Tuition & Fees
  • L&C Board of Trustees Career Scholarship - Instrumentation & Control Systems - Tuition & Fees
  • L&C Board of Trustees Career Scholarship - Management - Tuition & Fees
  • L&C Board of Trustees Career Scholarship - Medical Assisting - Tuition & Fees
  • L&C Board of Trustees Career Scholarship - Nursing - Tuition & Fees
  • L&C Board of Trustees Career Scholarship - Occupational Therapy Assistant - Tuition & Fees
  • L&C Board of Trustees Career Scholarship - Paramedicine - Tuition & Fees
  • L&C Board of Trustees Career Scholarship - Process Operations Technology - Tuition & Fees
  • L&C Board of Trustees Career Scholarship - Radio Broadcasting - Tuition & Fees
  • L&C Board of Trustees Career Scholarship - Restoration Ecology - Tuition & Fees
  • L&C Board of Trustees Career Scholarship - Truck Driver Training - Tuition & Fees
  • L&C Board of Trustees Career Scholarship - Web Design & Development - Tuition & Fees
  • L&C Board of Trustees Career Scholarship - Welding Technology - Tuition & Fees
  • L&C Board of Trustees Transfer Scholarship - Tuition & Fees
  • L&C Dr. Rance Thomas Scholarship - Criminal Justice - Tuition & Fees
  • L&C Foundation Distinguished Scholar Awards - Tuition & Fees
  • L&C Foundation GED Distinguished Scholars Award - Tuition & Fees
  • L&C Foundation Golden Eagle Scholars Awards - Tuition & Fees
  • L&C Foundation Post Baccalaureate Associate Degree Career Scholarship - Tuition & Fees
  • L&C Minority Student Scholarship - Tuition & Fees
  • L&C Monticello Scholarship for Deserving Women - Tuition & Fees
  • L&C Talent Award Scholarship - Tuition & Fees
  • L&C Theodore S. Chapman Memorial Scholarship - Paralegal - Tuition and Fees
  • L&C Valedictorian/Salutatorian Scholarships - Tuition & Fees
  • Linda K. Nevlin Humanities Scholarship - $5,000
  • Linda L. Orr Occupational Therapy Assistant Scholarship - $250
  • Maple Street Baptist Church Scholarship - $5,000
  • Marlene Barach Scholarship for Women - $600
  • Mildred L. Thompson Scholarship for Nursing Students - $500
  • Monticello College Foundation and Alumnae Endowed Scholarship - $2,300
  • Myrtle & Virgil Jacoby Scholarship - $2,750
  • Olin Minority Scholarship (3) - $2,000
  • Phillips 66 PTEC Minority Scholarship (2) - $3,000
  • Phillips 66 Scholarship - $500
  • Postlewait-Brunjes Scholarship of the Alton Area (25 Years or Older) - $600
  • Postlewait-Brunjes Scholarship of the Alton Area (High School graduate) - $600
  • Roberts Motors Endowed Scholarship - $3,500
  • The Alice Stebbin Wells Scholarship for Criminal Justice - $1,000
  • The Edward & Lois Davis Scholarship - $300
  • The Eric & Joan Gowin Scholarship for Construction Management - $2,500
  • The Halpin Music Company Scholarship - $1,000
  • The Jack & Irene Reed Memorial Scholarship for the Visually Impaired - $500
  • The Jacob Rose Scholarship for Physical Science - $750
  • The Jordan C. Klope Memorial Scholarship - $1,000
  • The Larry D. Underwood Scholarship - $500
  • The Lawrence F. and Ellen Jane Gallo Endowed Scholarship - $1,000
  • The Patsy Goss “Onward & Upward Scholarship” - $500
  • The Robert R. & Verna F. Werts Scholarship - $650
  • The Scott Credit Union Scholarship - $1,000
  • The Susan Hemminger and Robert Awe Educational Scholarship - $600
  • The Talley Broadcasting Corporation Scholarship - $250
  • The Theresa D. Finkes Nursing Scholarship (2) - $500
  • The Trula Mae O’Neil Family Scholarship (2) - $500
  • The U of I Pathways Program - Engineering Science Scholarship (6) - $4,500
  • The Virginia Cramblet, R.N., Memorial Scholarship for Nursing Students - $1,000
  • Wanita E. & Wilbur R.L. Trimpe Memorial Scholarship - $250
  • Wood River Women’s Club Scholarship - $500
  • Zonta Club of Alton-Wood River Scholarship - $1,000

These additional scholarships require separate, printed applications. Access them at www.lc.edu/scholarships.

  • All-USA Community College Academic Team Scholarship - $2500
  • Jack Kent Cooke Foundation Undergraduate Transfer Scholarship Program - Varies
  • Phi Theta Kappa Board of Trustees Scholarship
  • UMSL and L&C Community College President’s Scholarship - Tuition & Fees

Other Grants/Scholarships Administered by the Illinois Student Assistance Commission, the State of Illinois and/or Illinois Counties, and Other Groups

Please see Grant/Scholarship descriptions for contact information.

Calvin and Juanita Ritchey Whitlock Education Foundation - Multiple scholarships are available for Jersey County residents who can show residency in Jersey County at their birth and graduation from Jersey Community High School, Southwestern High School, successful completion of a GED with a score of 2500 or higher on the GED test, or a score of 2500 or higher on the GED test if home-schooled. Applicants must have a GPA of at least 2.0, and be enrolled in 12 or more credit hours. Applicants may receive no more than $3,000 in scholarship funds for any given school year. The number of awards granted annually will vary based upon available funds. Applications are available through Jersey State Bank in Jerseyville, IL.

Illinois Department of Public Health Nursing Education Scholarship -   Applicant must be a resident of Illinois for at least one year prior to application; be a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident alien of the United States; be enrolled in or accepted for admission to a nursing program in Illinois that is approved by the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation or the Illinois Board of Higher Education; contact program staff to see which schools are approved by the Illinois Board of Higher Education; demonstrate financial need based on the applicant’s Student Aid Report; and agree to the nurse employment or nurse educator employment obligation. Applications are available http://dph.illinois.gov/topics-services/life-stages-populations/rural-underserved-populations/nursing-education-scholarship-program. Application submission period is March 1, 2019 through April 30, 2019.

Illinois MIA-POW Scholarship - Available through the Illinois Department of Veterans’ Affairs to any spouse, natural child, legally adopted child, or any child in legal custody of an Illinois resident prior to or during the time the U.S. Department of Defense has declared such serviceman or service woman to be a prisoner of war, a person missing in action, a person killed in service, a person who died as a result of a service-connected disability or a serviceman or service woman who has been declared by the U.S. Department of Defense or the U.S. Veterans’ Administration to be permanently disabled with 100 percent disability. Recipients may be able to receive other financial aid including a Federal Pell Grant. Contact the L&C VA Certifying Official in the Financial Aid Office for more information.

Illinois National Guard (ING) Grant - Basically limited to active NG members who have served at least one year in the Illinois National Guard, but check eligibility details. This grant pays for tuition and activity fees only. Student must be enrolled at least half-time (6 hours or more) each semester. Online applications are available at http://www.isac.org. Students cannot use ISAC MAP if eligible for the IL National Guard Grant. The deadline dates for submitting applications and school changes are as follows:

First semester (full academic year) October 1
Second semester March 1
Summer term June 15

 A new application is required to establish your eligibility each academic year. Contact the L&C VA Certifying Official in the Financial Aid Office for more information.

Illinois Veterans’ Grant (IVG) - Limited to veterans who were Illinois residents at the time of entry in the military service, who returned to Illinois as permanent residents within six months following discharge from the military service, who were honorably discharged, and whose DD-214 separation paper indicates one year or more of continuous active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces. Effective September 15, 2004, any member of the Illinois National Guard or a Reserve component of the U.S. Armed Forces who meets the eligibility requirements is considered a qualified applicant for the IVG Program, along with Illinois veterans or members of the U. S. Armed Forces. This grant pays tuition and some fees. Usage for the grant is computed on a point system with a 120 unit maximum. One hundred twenty (120) units are equivalent to four academic years of full-time enrollment. IVG does not cover course fees, lab fees, or late fees. Online applications are available at http://www.isac.org. Contact the L&C VA Certifying Official in the Financial Aid Office for more information.

Madison County Economic Development Scholarship - A $1,500 scholarship for the academic year ($750 for fall and $750 for spring) to the applicant(s) who demonstrate financial need (as defined by the Madison County Economic Development), who have lived the majority of their life in Madison County, and meet academic standards. This scholarship will first be applied to unpaid balances in the following order: Tuition and fees, books and supplies. Any unused amounts will be disbursed to the student. L&C Financial Aid Committee recommends the top applicants and the Madison County Board selects the recipient(s). This scholarship is not automatically renewed each academic year. Students need to reapply. Applications are available in the Financial Aid Office. The application deadline is tentatively the last Friday in April.

Reserve Officer Training Commission (ROTC) Scholarship - Three annual awards are available to students who transfer from Lewis and Clark Community College to a senior state university or college. Contact the ROTC office at the school to which you are transferring. For full consideration, the L&C Financial Aid Office must receive a nomination from your college or university.  Note: A recipient of a scholarship or award that pays for tuition and fees only cannot receive a tuition reimbursement if a second scholarship or award is also received that pays tuition and fees only. For example, the recipient may not receive a tuition reimbursement from the ISAC MAP award if an L&C award has been granted. If a MAP grant is awarded, tuition will be charged to MAP and the scholarship or award will be reimbursed. There are some exceptions. Students may also receive Federal Pell Grants if they are receiving a L&C, L&C Foundation, or a private donor scholarship because Pell Grants can be used for other education expenses. Scholarship recipients may also be eligible for Federal Work Study and student loans. L&C tuition waivers cannot be used to pay tuition at another college for cooperative or concurrent enrollment programs. Contact the L&C Financial Aid Office for further information.

Are There Other Scholarships Available?

L&C posts and distributes new scholarship information around campus as it is received. Information is also forwarded to the L&C student radio station, WLCA, and to the L&C student newspaper, The Bridge, as well as to local newspapers. Students should also do their own research on scholarships offered by foundations, religious organizations, fraternities or sororities, community clubs, and professional organizations.  The internet is a great resource to search for scholarship information. Please see the Financial Aid section of the college’s website for more details.

Other Student Employment Opportunities

Institutional Student Employment - This is an employment program which is not based on financial need and which requires a student to be enrolled in at least one credit hour in the term for which work is performed. Contact the Financial Aid Office for further information.

Other Resources

Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA)

The WIOA grant is for underemployed, unemployed, under-skilled and unskilled students. WIOA entities also certify Dislocated Worker status for Title IV and ISAC aid applicants. Contact your county WIOA office at:

Southwestern IL workNet Center (Madison, Bond, Jersey, Greene)
101 East Edwardsville Road, Wood River, IL 62095, 618-296-4301

The Job Center (Morgan, Scott, Shelby, Greene, Macoupin, Montgomery)
116 South Plum, Carlinville, IL 62626, 217-854-9642


Many local employers will also provide educational assistance to employees or their dependents through grants, scholarships, tuition reimbursements, etc. Contact your employer for details. Please be advised that if you live out of L&C’s district, but work 35 hours per week at an employer within the district, you may be eligible for the lower in district tuition rate. Contact the Enrollment Center for forms and procedures.

Educational Opportunity Center (EOC)

The EOC will help adult students research and apply for college admissions, scholarships, financial aid, and helps re-establish aid eligibility for those students with defaulted loans. These services are not available to those who are eligible for the L&C Talent Search Program. The EOC can be reached at:

11 West Third Street, Alton, IL 62002 618-465-5124

Illinois Department of Human Services Division of Rehabilitation Services (DORS)

The DORS program may assist qualified individuals with the cost of education. If you have a disabling condition and want to develop employability skills, contact:

606 W. St. Louis Avenue, East Alton, IL 62024 618-258-9996